The Faculty of Applied Sciences is offered at Laws Campus, Livingstonia Plateau, three hours drive North of Mzuzu City. The Faculty trains students to acquire professional skills for various employment opportunities in Malawi. The progammes are designed to meet the needs of professionals in both industry and society.
It has four programmes, namely:
- Bachelor of Computer Engineering
- Bachelor of Food Security and Nutrition
- Bachelor of Environmental Management
- Bachelor of Public Health
The objectives of this Programme are to:
- produce graduates capable of practicing computer engineering to serve Malawi and the regional industries, government agencies, or national and international industries;
- produce graduates with the necessary background and technical skills to work professionally in one or more of the following areas: computer hardware and software design, computer-based systems, computer network design, system integration, electronic design automation;
- prepare graduates for personal and professional success with awareness and commitment to their ethical and social responsibilities, both as individuals and team environments;
- prepare graduates capable of entering and succeeding in an advanced degree program in a field such as engineering, science, or business;
- produce graduates with the necessary background and technical skills conduct research in related computer technologies;
- produce entrepreneurship-oriented graduates who are able to provide products and services to the community.
- develop and apply analytical skills and knowledge in enhancing Food Security and Nutrition in Malawi and beyond;
- gain basic awareness, appreciation, and appropriate understanding of the food and nutrition systems, their relationships to the broad economy, traditions, and cultural experiences of Malawi and the region;
- provide leadership to other institutions in dealing with food security and nutrition systems in their increasingly diverse and technology-intensive processes;
- develop a critical understanding of the multidisciplinary nature of food security and nutrition to create diversity in meeting and exceed challenges of ensuring a sustainable food and nutrition system to continue feeding the populace sustainably;
- conduct research and provide consultancy services to the relevant agencies and organizations.
Objectives of the programme are to produce graduates that are able to:
- apply knowledge and skills from different disciplines to environmental management practice;
- provide sound leadership with interdisciplinary scientific, management and policy skills to deal with today’s environmental problems;
- carry out research to provide solutions to complex environmental problems;
- develop programmes for effective environmental management practices at different levels of society.
Public Health Programme is approved by Medical council of Malawi and Registered and Accredited by National Council of Higher Education (NCHE).
Objectives of Public Health Programme
On the completion of the course, students should be able to:
a. Apply the knowledge and skills for the assessment of public health issues and health care practices;
b. Provide leadership in the practice of public health;
c. Conduct research and provide consultancy services to the relevant agencies and organizations;
d. Find short and long- term solutions to public health problems rocking Malawi, Southern Africa Development Community (SADC) region and beyond.
e. Progress excellently in their profession and career in Public Health and related fields like International Health and Global Health.
Fields introduced in Public Health- Undergraduate.
1. Health Promotion & Disease Control
2. Environmental and Occupational Health
3. Health Policy and Economics
4. Evidence Based Research and Bioethics
5. Epidemiology and Biostatistics
6. Health Systems Strengthening and Quality Assurance
7. Primary Healthcare and Community Health
8. Global and International Health
9. Climate Change and Health
10. Industrial Practicum (LEVELS 2 & 3)
11. Basics in Public Health Practice: Communications Skills, General Biology, Calculus, Computer Applications
- Applicants must have a full MSCE or its equivalent with six (6) credits, including English, Mathematics and Physical Science.
- Applicants with Diploma in Computer Engineering and/or equivalent may be exempted in first year, provided they covered a strong theoretical and practical foundation in digital fundamentals programming, systems analysis and design and other courses offered in the lower years at a recognised institution.
- Applicants are required to poses a laptop computer.
- Applicants should have a full MSCE Certificate or its equivalent with six (6) credits including English, Biology and any of the following: Mathematics, Physical Science, and Geography – Duration 4 years
- Applicants with Diplomas will be admitted in year 2 or year 3 depending on what they studied at Diploma level subject to scrutiny of their transcripts – 2 Years
- Applicants with Certificates in Forestry, Environmental Management and Climate change will be enrolled in first year.
- Applicants should have a full MSCE or its equivalent with six (6) credits, including English and any of the following: Physical Science, Biology, and Geography. Mathematics.
- Applicants with Diploma in Food Security and Nutrition related courses from recognised institutions will be enrolled either in 2nd year or 3rd year following scrutiny of their transcripts – Duration 2 years
- Those with certificates in related courses will be admitted in first year – Duration 4 years
- Applicants should have a full MSCE certificate with six (6) credits and/or less than 36 aggregate points. Duration 4 years
- Paramedics and Medical Assistants shall be admitted in second year. Duration 2 years
- The credit subjects should include English, Physical Science, Clinical Medicine, Biology and Mathematics.
- Applicants with Diplomas or equivalent qualifications in (Nursing and Midwifery, biomedical sciences, Clinical Medicine, Environmental Health) obtained from recognised institutions may start in 3rd year subject to verification of their past course work. Duration 3 years